Going into this process, we were unsure of our ability to qualify for SRED tax credits and lacked the in-house resources and expertise for the research and preparation of a high-quality claim. SRED Unlimited managed the entire process of SRED claim preparation and submission with minimum involvement of our staff. We have subsequently received a significant refund and have retained SRED Unlimited to help strategize on new projects to ensure they qualify for maximum SRED credits.
SR&ED for Construction & Real Estate – Building Canada’s Economy
Canadian real estate and construction companies are delivering innovation by striving to meet newer regulatory requirements, as well as demands for more environmentally friendly structures, materials, equipment and processes.
The majority of new knowledge, products and processes generated by real estate and construction corporations across Canada satisfy the requirements of the SR&ED tax credit program where they could recover up to 65% of their eligible expenses.
SR&ED Out of the Laboratory and Into the Construction Site
When people hear the terms “scientific research” and “experimental development”, they tend to think of people in white lab coats and test tubes rather than hard hats and steel-toed boots. Innovation work in the construction and real estate industry can also qualify for the SR&ED tax credit as long as the R&D work conducted followed the scientific method – hypothesis, experimentation, analysis, conclusion, next test – and generated new knowledge that couldn’t have been gained by simply Googling it.
Whoever is paying for and taking the financial risks, and whoever owns the Intellectual Property (IP) for the product, process, technology or knowledge generated by the work is entitled to file a claim.
Building a Case for SR&ED in Construction
The SR&ED program could refund eligible expenditures associated with design and development of:
- equipment, tools and temporary/permanent structures (retractable roofs) to address non-standard construction scenarios/requirements
- new and renewable energy sources
- new or improved construction and building materials (metals/alloys, glass, plastics, ceramics, concrete/cement, insulation)
- new or improved construction techniques to improve finish quality, durability and efficiency, soil remediation and to achieve environmental certification under programs such as LEED
- excavation and earth moving systems
- special concrete mixes (i.e.: S.C.C., low shrinkage, crack resistant) and mixes that reduce seepage in waste management
- products to improve filtration, fire resistance, exposure to heat, etc.
- methods to remove new or unusual – non-standard – raw ingredients (i.e.: smooth pea gravel, production of fines, working with contaminated pits, etc.)
- high-efficiency insulation and R values, or sound attenuation through walls or development of sound barriers
- windows and door designs to address non-standard construction problems (i.e: to withstand high winds, earthquake, etc.)
- methods and processes to reduce overall cycle time and construction time.
And much more…
Why you need SRED Unlimited
Call SRED Unlimited today and let us help you sift through all that you’ve accomplished to find work that can repay eligible time and material expenses.